Your lawn mower often sits unused during the cold months, spelling doom for its battery. Typically, the mower’s battery will self-discharge due to the freezing temperatures.
While there’s little to worry about with an inactive mower, you’ll have to charge the battery at the onset of the mowing season.
You’ll need a reliable charger to revitalize and maintain your mower’s battery. Lucky for you, we’ve reviewed the best battery charger for lawn mower in this post.
We also include a buyer’s guide to help you make informed purchasing decisions.
Best Battery Charger For Lawn Mower
- BMK 12V 5A Smart Charger – Best Overall Battery Charger for Lawn Mower
- LST Trickle Battery Charger – Best Trickle Battery charger
- Automotive Charger Maintainer – Best Compact Charger for Lawn Mower
- Battery Tender Junior 12V Charger – Best Battery Chargers for Lawn Tractors
- BLACK+DECKER BM3B – Best Durable Battery Charger for Lawn Mower
- DieHard 71219 6/12V Shelf – Best Battery Charger For Riding Lawn Mower
- Ampeak 2/10/25A Smart – Best Versatile Battery Charger for Lawn Mower
7 Best Battery Charger For Lawn Mower
1. Best Overall Battery Charger for Lawn Mower – BMK 12V 5A Smart Battery Charger
- 【UPGRADED DEFECTIVE BATTERY DETECT/FAST CHARGING CAR BATTERY BOOSTER】Updated with battery condition diagnose to detect the defective battery before charge. Input 100-240V AC, With 5A DC output current, BMK 12V 5A car battery charger is suitable for charging batteries with 15-100Ah. NOTE: To better tender the battery, please make sure the battery capacity is higher than 15Ah, it can also charge over 100Ah batteries, just more charging time. ETL Certified for performance and safety
- 【UPGRADED 72-HOUR SAFETY FEATURES/MULTI SAFETY PROTECTIONS - BATTERY RESCUE & RECOVER】Updated with 72 hours safety feature to commence anytime the charger is onto protect marginal batteries from over charging. Made of high quality ABS, multi-protects of Short Circuit/ OV/ OC/ Overload/ Polarity Reverse, featured with Constant Pulse Current Maintenance function to avoid overcharge and discharge; Full-loaded and burn-in test prove its high reliable efficiency, stable performance
- 【4-STAGE SMART CHARGING - FULLY AUTOMATIC BOAT BATTERY CHARGER】 12V battery charger operated with 4 stages automatic charging process by MCU controller, 25%/50%/75%/100% to indicate quantity of electricity and monitor the whole charging progress. Stop automatically when the battery is fully charged. LED indicator designed to display different charging status of the 12v smart charger
- 【UPGRADED WITH 10A FUSE ONTO RING CONNECTORS & MULTI-PURPOSES DEEP CYCLE BATTERY CHARGER】Pb/SLA/VRLA/GEL/AGM lead acid battery charger tender, operated with vulcanization function, BMK battery maintainer charger is a great choice for lawn mower, boat, car, motorcycle, electric vehicle, electric tools and emergency battery charging, lightweight(15.87oz) allows you take it to anywhere, used as Trickle Battery Charger as well
- 【QUALIRY ENSURANCE & IN TIME SERVICE】BMK is devoted to provide boat battery trickle charger with higher qulality to meet buyers' needs better and timely after-sale services, eliminate all your worries about getting this trolling motor battery charger. Just get your Automotive Car Battery Charger Maintainer with confidence, and contact us if you have any problems about the item when using
The BMK smart battery charger stands out from others due to its innovative features. For example, it can diagnose the battery’s condition before it even starts charging.
This device is suitable for charging 15-100Ah batteries and delivers a DC output of 5A. However, it takes longer to charge batteries with over 100Ah rating.
To use this device as a trickle charger, connect it to a battery with more than 15Ah. This product is ETL certified for safety and performance.
It also includes a 72-hour safety feature that protects small-capacity batteries from overcharging. The body, which consists of high-quality ABS, is durable and long-lasting.
This device also includes a LED indicator that displays the battery’s charging status. Use it on VRLA, SLA, AGM, and Gel lead acid batteries.
- It’s compatible with different battery kinds.
- It’s durable.
- It’s spark-proof and water-proof.
- It doesn’t work on completely drained batteries.
- The cable jumpers are too short.
2. LST Trickle Battery Charger – Best Trickle Battery charger
- √ Battery and Vehicle Type - Charge fully drained 6V&12V pb/sla/gel/agm/lead-acid batteries, it's automatic battery trickle chargers for automotive, motorcycles, automobile, riding lawn mowers, lawn tractor, ATVs, RVs, watercraft, powersport, scooter, snowmobiles, cars, camper, trolling motor, boats, etc
- √ Safety Guarantee - Multi protection against Reverse Polarity, Short Circuit, Over Voltage/Current, Over Charge/Discharge, Overload, Overheat; Spark proof during lead connection; Water and dust resistant float battery charger, full-loaded and burn-in test proves its stable performance and high reliability.
- √ 5-Stage Automatic Charging - Featured detachable ring or alligator connectors with 10A fuse, charge and maintain your battery wherever you go; Monitor the whole charging process, automatically switches to float mode after fully charging the battery by MCU controlled; LST motorcycle battery charger will recover batteries more effectively and extend the battery life.
- √ Intuitive LED Indicator - LST 6/12 volt automotive battery maintainer charger provide visual state-of-charge feedback and diagnostic information, even when in maintenance mode. Input 100-240V, ultra-compact and lightweight, easy to carry the motorcycle charger everywhere.
- √ 100% Satisfactory Float Charger - Updated with defective battery recognition function and 72-hour safety features, just get portable 6v 12v trickle charger for car batteries with confidence; LST smart battery charger offer 3-Year quality assurance & 12-Month refund & timely 24/7 after-sale services.
This trickle battery charger allows you to charge fully drained AGM, lead-acid, and gel batteries. It’s also compatible with both 6V and 12V batteries.
Besides lawn mowers, this device can charge cars, motorcycles, ATVs, RVs, snowmobiles, and watercraft.
The product offers multi-protection against short-circuit, overheating, reverse polarity, discharge, and overcharge.
Moreover, this dust and water-resistant charger is highly reliable and delivers stable performance. It also features a 5-stage automatic charging and monitors the entire process.
Typically, the charger switches to float mode after the battery attains full charge. Additionally, this product can extend the battery life and recover dead batteries effectively.
Lastly, it also includes an intuitive LED indicator. This feature provides real-time feedback and diagnostic information on the charging status.
- It’s portable.
- Includes safety charging features.
- Includes a 12-month refund policy.
- It’s suitable for different vehicles.
- It charges slowly.
3. Best Compact Charger for Lawn Mower – Automotive Battery Charger Maintainer
- RECOVER ,CHARGE & MAINTAIN - 12V 6A/24V 3A battery charger operated with 7 stages automatic charging process controlled by MCU controller.It applies the pulse charging technology by giving a slight pulse current at the proper stages to boost the battery so as to maximize the battery performance and extend the battery life, not a traditional charger or maintainer.
- ENERGY SAVE - Adopted full-encapsulated crocodile clamp rugged and durable,safe touse.The use of GB copper wire can guarantee stable current output,long time charging wires do not generate heat.Certified by CE, RoHS, UL and CEC. UK standard plug included.No output (energy waste) in stand by mode.
- COMPACT, ROBUST & DURABLE - Enhanced ABS case with top grade fire-resistant and water-resitant feature. Perfect for charging and maintaining all 12/24volt lead-acid, flooded or sealed maintenance free batteries (AGM , GEL, SLA and gel cell ect). Ultra-compact and light-weight, easy to carry the charger everywhere.
- INTUITIVE LCD DISPLAY & TOUCH KEYS - Easy-to-read LCD indication to let you check the charging and battery status, charge voltage, charge current, inside temperature, battery full, summer mode, winter mode, etc. Newest design-touch keys,click when tuching, refuse keys are insensitive to carton.
- ONE YEAR WARRANTY SUPPORT - Tip: Don't charge the lithium battery. Hassle-free return or refund for any product quality issue.100% satisfaction service and technical assistance will be provided by contacting our professional customer service team.
This product by Meearo is one of the best options for recharging your mower’s battery. Besides its compact size, this charger spots a simple design, making it easy to use.
It also includes an intuitive LCD that monitors the charging status. Moreover, the LCD displays the charge voltage, battery temperature, and battery health status.
The product is suitable for charging and maintaining all 12/24V lead-acid batteries. This includes AGM, SLA, and GEL. It’s also lightweight and portable, allowing you to carry it anywhere.
Unlike traditional chargers, this unit utilizes patented pulse technology. This innovation delivers a slight pulse current at appropriate stages.
Thus, it extends the battery life and enhances performance. Moreover, the pulse charging feature can resuscitate old or dead mower batteries.
It also utilizes GB copper wire, which does not generate heat. This guarantees a stable and reliable current output.
- It’s compact and lightweight.
- It comes with a one-year warranty.
- It stops recharging once the battery is full.
- It’s easy to use.
- The instructions are quite vague.
- Buttons are too sensitive.
- It doesn’t include a hanging or wall-mount feature.
4. Best Battery Chargers for Lawn Tractors – Battery Tender Junior 12V Charger
- STAY CHARGED: Battery Tender battery chargers and maintainers provide a full charge to your powersport vehicle’s battery before switching to float mode to maintain proper voltage levels for safe, long-term storage
- EXTEND BATTERY LIFE: Compatible with all 12V lead-acid, flooded, AGM, and gel cell batteries. Complete 4-step charging program (Initialization, Bulk Charge, Absorption Mode, Float Mode) allows for optimization of battery power, without overcharging or battery damage
- INCLUDES: 12V, 750mA battery charger and battery maintainer with 12-foot output cord, fused-ring terminal harness for hard-to-reach batteries and alligator clip accessory cables, 5-year warranty, and lifetime customer support
- SIMPLE & SAFE: Low maintenance, easy-to-use, universal battery charger is just 3.3 x 1.3 x 2.4 inches, 1 lb (charger only). Spark-proof circuitry ensures no-spark connections, and automatic reversed hook-up detection verifies correct connection
- MONITOR POWER LEVELS: Two-color charge status LED light indicates the state of the charge and if the battery voltage drops too far under load, adaptive charging will resume full charger output power. Automatic charge cycle functionality switches to float mode after fully charging the battery
The junior battery tender is the perfect alternative to a regular charger. Its unique 4-step charging procedure optimizes the battery’s performance with every charge.
Moreover, it automatically goes into float mode after charging your battery to prevent an overcharge. We also appreciate the spark-proof lead connection and reverse polarity protection.
Another prominent feature is the solid-state LED display. It indicates the power level and charging progress.
Also, this affordable device manages your battery’s health by adjusting the voltage depending on the requirements.
The charger, which doubles as a battery maintainer, includes a 12-foot output cord and fused-ring terminal harness.
This makes it handy for hard-to-reach batteries. Lastly, it comes with a five-year warranty and lifetime customer service.
- It’s affordable.
- Works for all kinds of vehicle batteries.
- It’s easy to use.
- It comes with a 5-year manufacturer’s warranty.
- It’s durable.
- It takes longer to deliver a full charge.
- It’s costly.
5. Best Durable Battery Charger for Lawn Mower – BLACK+DECKER BM3B Fully Automatic 6V/12V Battery Charger
- Charges and maintains 12 volt and 6 volt AGM, GEL and WET batteries.Includes : (1) Battery Maintainer/Charger, (1) 12V/DC Outlet, (1) Battery Clamps, (1) Ring Terminals
- Easy connection to vehicle battery using battery clips and O-ring terminals
- Stops charging automatically when battery is fully charged or topped off, switching to float mode monitoring
- Built-in circuit protection guards against overcharging, reverse polarity, or short circuit; ETL certified for performance and safety
- Mounting bracket built-in to charger for convenient placement
This compact and lightweight device is compatible with 12V and 6V GEL, AGM, and WET batteries. The product includes battery clamps and O-ring terminals for easy connection.
Moreover, it features long enough cable jumpers, thus eliminating most inconveniences.
A prominent feature of this unit is that it switches to float mode monitoring once charging is complete. This way, you don’t risk overcharging the battery.
Additionally, this ETL-certified charger includes built-in circuit protection guards. They protect against reverse polarity, overload, and short circuits.
Its low voltage compensation guarantees optimal performance when used with an extension cord.
Moreover, the Black+ Decker battery charger features an in-built mounting bracket. This allows for convenient storage when not in use.
Lastly, it also includes 2 LED indicators; the green one shows the battery’s charging status, while the red LED indicates a flaw.
- It includes reasonably long codes.
- It’s easy to set up and use.
- Features a durable and robust construction.
- It charges slowly.
6. Best Battery Charger For Riding Lawn Mower – DieHard 71219 6/12V Shelf Smart Battery Charger
- Micro processor controlled, fully automatic, 5-stage charging process for precise charging and monitoring batteries
- LED indictor will flash if clamps are reversed and charger will not operate
- Features battery maintaining to prevent overcharging, charging will resume if battery becomes discharged
- Versatile quick-connect harness with 50A clamps, 12V accessory plug or permanent ring connectors
- Quick connect harness's install fast for hard-to-reach motorcycle batteries
This is a microprocessor-controlled battery charger with an automated 5-stage charging process. With this feature, you can trust the device to do the job with utmost precision.
Moreover, this device can recharge everything from a riding lawn mower to snowmobiles and ATVs.
It also includes a LED indicator that will flash, denoting a clamp fault. This way, the charger won’t operate; thus, you don’t risk spoiling your battery.
This charger also includes an intuitive float mode feature, which prevents overcharging. Moreover, it has a long harness for fast connection when charging hard-to-reach batteries.
This device from Die Hard also has a desulfation mode for rejuvenating heavily sulfated batteries. Lastly, this unit comes with a 3-year warranty and life-long customer support.
- It comes with a 3-year warranty.
- It’s lightweight and portable.
- It includes a long wire harness for easier connections.
- It’s easy to use.
- Projection light doesn’t last long.
- It doesn’t work on fully drained batteries.
7. Best Versatile Battery Charger for Lawn Mower – Ampeak 2/10/25A Smart Battery Charger
- 🚗▶Fast Smart Battery Charger◀: Quickly charge all 12V lead-acid batteries including GEL, AGM, and STD. It's the best smart charger for automotive, motorcycle, marine, RV, Powersport, lawn&garden, children's toys, etc. Superfast heat-dissipation better improves working performance.
- 🚗▶Start Aid and Winter Mode Charging◀: Energy-saving design for activating battery whose capacity is not enough to start the engine within one 100-second cycle. The car battery charger add 0.2v more to better boosts battery activity for a complete charging in Winter weathers.
- 🚗▶Advanced Recondition and Desulfation Modes◀: Repair severely-sulfated battery terminals and reverse the damaging effects when batteries are left uncharged for extended periods to improve battery performance and longevity. (Do not charge a frozen or totally dead battery!)
- 🚗▶Smart Detect System◀: Automatically detect the battery voltage and capacity, and select the charge rate best fit for your type of battery. Automatic charge cycle functionality switches to float mode after fully charging the battery. Smart 8 stages helps intelligently detect, charge, repair, and maintain.
- 🚗▶Advanced & Safety Protection◀: LCD display helps keep drivers informed of the charger's operation. Certified by ETL. No more worry about battery issues like Over Discharge/Over Voltage/Over Current/Over Heat/Overtime Charging/Short Circuit/Current Backflow/Reverse Polarity.
This product by Ampeak is suitable for charging all types of 12V lead-acid batteries. This includes GEL, STD, and AGM.
So, besides your lawn mower, use it to charge motorcycles, automotive, watercraft, and RV batteries.
It also features an energy-saving start aid button. The button activates batteries that fail to start the engine in a 2-minute cycle.
Moreover, it includes an advanced reconditioning mode. This mode can reverse the adverse effects of leaving batteries uncharged for a long time.
Moreover, with this feature, you can rely on the device to improve the lifespan and performance of your battery. However, it doesn’t recharge a dead or frozen battery.
The charger’s smart detection system detects the battery’s voltage rating and capacity. This way, it can determine the best charge rate for your lawn mower’s battery.
Finally, the automatic charge cycle can switch to float mode, preventing overcharging.
- Versatile for different battery types
- It utilizes float mode to prevent overcharging
- Offers excellent customer service
- It comes with an 18-month warranty
- It doesn’t charge dead or frozen batteries
Choosing The Best Lawn Mower Battery Charger
With myriad battery chargers flooding the market, finding the best one for your lawn mower is challenging.
Lucky for you, in this guide, we discuss vital features to look out for in a battery charger.
Assess the charger’s safety before settling for a lawnmower battery. Usually, most battery chargers include heat resistance, reverse polarity protection, and overcharge protection.
Besides ensuring the longevity of your device, these features keep your battery in top-notch performance.
Before spending your hard-earned money, ensure the charger’s power output is compatible with your battery.
Typical lawn mower batteries have a rating of 6-12v and an amperage range of 5A-25A. Using an incompatible charger may spoil the battery and poses a risk of accidents in the bargain.
Most lawn mower owners disregard this feature when choosing a battery charger. With the indicator, you can follow up on the charging progress and the battery’s health.
Most chargers include a LED indicator for this reason.
Picking a portable battery charger is vital, especially if you’re always on the move. Look for a device with a compact and lightweight design.
How To Charge A Lawn Mower Battery?
Charging a lawn mower is rather seamless. First, you’ll want to use the correct charger. Most lawn mowers use a 12V battery, requiring a 12 Volt charger.
However, some chargers can toggle between 6V and 12V settings. So, adjust the setting to match your battery’s rating.
Step 1: Safety Precautions
Ensure you have protective clothing, including hand gloves and safety glasses. Next, check the battery’s condition before proceeding.
Fortunately, when charging a lawn mower’s battery, you can leave the battery as is. So, leave the battery in place and proceed with the steps below.
Step 2: Unplug the Charger
Unplug the battery charger from the electrical outlet before making any connection. Afterward, locate the battery on your tractor.
You’ll find the battery beneath the seat or hood on most mowers. If you’re having trouble finding your battery, consult the user’s manual or guide.
Step 3: Connect the Terminals
Connect the positive charging cable- usually red- to the battery’s positive terminal. Afterward, connect the black negative charging cable to the battery’s negative terminal.
Step 4: Adjust The Voltage To Match Your Battery’s Rating
Toggle between the voltage settings of your new charger to match your battery’s ratings. Ideally, you’ll want to settle for the 12V setting. Most mowers manufactured after 1980 use a 12V battery.
Additionally, you’ll want to ensure that the charger delivers a power output of 10 Amps or less. Using a charger that disseminates greater amperage risks damaging your mower’s battery.
Step 5: Connect the Charger
The next step involves plugging the charger into a power supply or electrical outlet. Wait until the battery attains full charge before disconnecting the charger.
With a 10A charger, the battery should take approximately one hour to charge fully. Using a battery charger with a lower amperage output will extend the charging time. Your battery is now ready for use.
When To Charge Your Mower’s Battery
Surprisingly, you may drive your lawn mower for months without the need to recharge it. However, there are certain times when you’ll want to charge the battery.
Additionally, most manufacturers recommend charging your mower’s battery at least once a month in the summer.
During winter, you should charge it at least once a week. Here are some common instances where you’ll need to recharge your mower’s battery.
After purchasing a new lawn mower- Charge the battery of your new mower before using it. This will give your mower a good initial start, hence enhanced performance.
Similarly, you may want to charge the battery before starting the mower for the first time in the spring.
If your mower’s performance reduces – If your lawn mower isn’t working efficiently or ceases to operate, check the battery’s power using a voltmeter to determine the issue.
Usually, you only need to charge the battery for your lawnmower to get back into shape.
After you’re done mowing your lawn- After mowing, leave the mower unplugged to allow the battery to rest and re-energize.
If your mower includes a built-in alternator, the battery will remain charged when power continues to circulate through the machine.
Features Of Modern Battery Chargers
Fortunately, by investing in a modern lawn mower battery charger, you needn’t worry about the health hazards akin to older models.
Here are some innovative features that may include in your charger;
- Multiple mode settings, including fast charge, slow charge, jump start, and float mode, for optimal charging.
- Hook up failsafe that prevents faulty connections.
- Automatic shut off.
- Built-in charging timer.
- Controlled amperage rates.
- Clamps for various types of connections.
However, it’s worth noting that not all models in the market include all the features above.
So, if you’re looking to extend your battery life, invest in a charger that includes most of these features.
Despite their innovation, modern chargers have their downside. Typically, they won’t work on completely drained batteries. So while you could try using them, they’re likely to give an error.
In addition, modern chargers only work when the battery has some charge left. Consequently, you’ll need to use an old charger with a different kind of circuit to circumvent this issue.
Alternatively, you could use another battery to charge the dead one. Connect a charged battery to your dead battery using the included jumper cables for this step.
However, ensure that the battery you’re using has the same voltage rating as the one you wish to recharge. Spare a few hours to allow for full charging before disconnecting the jumper cable.
The Problem With Older Battery Chargers
Outdated charges were less reliable since they could overcharge the battery. Consequently, overcharging a battery releases noxious gasses that pose health hazards.
Luckily, this is no longer a concern for modern batteries. They include a built-in system that prevents overcharging.
So, you could charge your battery for extended periods without releasing toxic gases.
Can You Use A Battery Charger On A Lawn Mower?
When charging your lawn mower, use the correct battery charger. Most lawn mowers produced after 1980 feature a 12V battery. If your mower falls under this category, use a 12V charger to recharge the battery. However, modern chargers allow you to toggle between 6V and 12V settings.
How Many Amps Should You Charge A Lawn Mower Battery?
Use a standard 10A charger to charge your battery fully within an hour. While you can use a charger with a lower output, it’ll take longer for the battery to charge fully. Additionally, batteries with a higher amp-hour rating will require more time to charge fully. Use a 10A charger since you don’t risk overcharging.
How Long Does It Take To Charge A 12 Volt Lawn Mower Battery At 2 Amps?
In most cases, it could take 24h for your mower’s battery to charge completely with a trickle charger. Often, trickle chargers, also known as battery tenders, offer a power output of 2A or less. As a result, they charge batteries slowly without posing the risk of overcharging.
Can You Use A Car Battery Charger On A Lawn Mower?
Yes, you can use a car battery charger to charge your lawn mower’s battery. First, connect the battery to the charger using the jumper cables included. However, since car batteries have a power rating of 12V, you can only use a car battery charger on lawnmowers with a 12V rating.
The best battery charger for lawn mower is the BMK 12V 5A Smart Battery Charge. With this charger, you only need to hook it to your battery to recharge and maintain it safely.
This product also stands out from the competition due to its ease of use and reliability. Your lawn mower will perform optimally when cutting grass with a charged battery.