Men like things loud and messy. Ask a guy his favorite car, and it’ll probably be a Mustang or an Italian supercar you can hear half a block away. The same thing is true with lawn mowers.
Men get obsessed over CCs and RPMs, whereas all we want to know is how well does it cut and will it wake up the neighbors?
So, if you’re ready to put the fin back into lawn care, here’s our take on the best lawn mower for women.
We’ve included a guide to help with the buying process, so you’ll purchase something you’ll absolutely love.
Best Lawn Mower for Women
- EGO Power+ LM2130SP – Best Premium Electric Lawn Mower for Women
- American Mower Company – Best Push Reel Mower Women Small Yards
- BLACK+DECKER Cordless Mower – Best 3-in-1 lawn mower for women
- Craftsman M215 159cc 21 – Best Gas-Powered Lawn Mower for Women
- Greenworks 40V 16″ Cordless – Best Electric Lawn Mower for Women
- Sun Joe ION16LMCT iON16LM – Best Brushless Electric Mower for Women
- Worx WG779 40V Power Share – Best Electric Mower for Small Lawns
- Home Depot 48 Volt RYOBI 30 in.– Best Riding Mower for Women
Best Lawn Mower for Women
1. Best Premium Electric Lawn Mower for Women – EGO Power+ LM2130SP
- Select Cut Multi-Blade System for premium cutting performance that exceeds gas
- Touch Drive Self Propelled Technology puts complete control in the palm of your hands
- Get 60 minutes of run time on single charge when used with the recommended 56V 7.5 Ah ARC Lithium battery
- High-efficiency brushless motor, Folds for compact storage
- Adjustable self-propel speed .9 MPH – 3.1 MPH
For the first time in history, the name Ego actually means something good! Ego Power is a brand that makes phenomenal battery-powered equipment and their lawn mower is absolutely exceptional.
They have a few options, but the 21-inch cutting deck option is our favorite because it gives the longest run time. On a full charge of the 7.5 Ah battery, you can cut your lawn for up to 60 minutes.
That’s about the length of time it takes to cut ¾ of an acre. So, if you have a regular size yard of 1,000 sq. ft or less, this will be perfect.
Another great feature is that this is a self-propelled mower, meaning you don’t have to apply a lot of pressure to keep it going.
Once you put your hands on the handle and squeeze a little bit, you’ll be off in a flash. Speaking of flash, this push mower can move at up to 3.1 mph, which is about the average walking space.
When it comes to cutting, you can either use the dual mulching blade setup or add a third blade for finer cuts.
This electric lawn mower has an adjustable cutting height, going from 1.5″ to 4″, using a simple lever.
We can go on and on about the features, but what makes this really great for women is that no maintenance is required.
There is no choke, no wires to mess with, no filters to change, and no fumes. The only downside to such a beauty is that you have to pay for all that class. But you’ll quickly find that it’s worth it.
- Easy to operate.
- Easy to store away.
- It does not require routine maintenance.
- Runs for a long time on a single charge.
- It is a considerable investment.
2. Best Push Reel Mower Women for Small Yards – American Lawn Mower Company 1204-14 14-Inch 4-Blade Push Reel Lawn Mower
- 4-blade reel with a cutting width of 14” and durable 8.5” polymer wheels for maximum maneuverability.Lightweight at only 19 pounds
- Mechanical lawn mower with an adjustable blade height of 0.5”-1.75” with scissor action cut
- Manual grass cutter blades made of heat-treated alloy steel that stays sharp for years
- Environment-friendly alternative to gas-powered lawn mowers which is pollution-free and noise-free; Low maintenance, lightweight and easy to use
- Capable of cutting grass up to 4 inches tall
From high-tech, we move to the lowest-tech lawn mower you can find, and that’s an old-school manual grasscutter.
For over a hundred years, the American Lawn Mower Company has done one thing and one thing only: make amazing lawn mowers that are built to last.
While they have a modern lineup of mowers, our pick is this push-reel lawn mower with a 14″ cutting deck.
This was made for users who want something simple, doesn’t require any wires or cables, and won’t break the bank.
Weighing under 20 pounds, this lightweight lawn mower has 4 blades that can cut grass up to 4 inches tall. The blades are made from a heat-treated alloy, so it stays sharp for at least three years.
Unlike a typical cutting reel, this has an adjustable cutting height from 0.5 inches to 1.75 inches. To be fair, we would have preferred if it went up to 3 inches, but this isn’t a bad height.
Needless to say that this is an eco-friendly product that won’t disturb the neighbors or your pets, for that matter. This mower is best for small yards or as a substitute mower for quick jobs.
One of the biggest selling points of this mower is that anybody can use this without a long and confusing manual.
- Very simple setup.
- It is lightweight.
- Blades stay sharp for years.
- Limited cutting height.
- Only for small jobs.
3. Best 3-in-1 lawn mower for women – BLACK+DECKER Cordless Lawn Mower, String Trimmer, Edger, 3-in-1
- 3 tools in 1, easily converts from mower to trimmer to edger
- AFS automatic feed system ensures continuous work without bumping and having to stop. Ideal property size 750 square feet
- Power drive transmission prevents bogging down. Cutting heights: 1.6 2.4 inches
- Adjustable height deck & trimmer and pivoting handle. Charge time at 60 percent 2.5 hours
- Includes (2) batteries for extended run time
Lawn care can be tiring when you have to whip out different tools just to take care of a small garden.
That’s why we prefer multipurpose tools, and one of our favorites is this Black+Decker cordless lawn mower plus string trimmer and edger.
Usually, when a product tries to do too many things, it fails, but not this one. Let’s begin with the mower.
The first selling point for women is the weight, coming in at just under 10 pounds, making it even lighter than the American Made push reel. The lawn mower also has two cutting heights of 1.6″ and 2.4″.
One feature women really like is the easily adjustable height deck. This also makes it easy when using it as an edger or trimmer.
Cutting is easy thanks to the power drive transmission, and you can use this on any lawn up to 750 sq. ft.
Even though this is a battery-powered mower, it can outlast the typical gas-powered lawn mower. A full charge can last close to 4 hours, which is more than enough for a day’s job.
The Black+Decker 3-in-1 mower comes with two 20V batteries to reduce downtime. You can also use the batteries for other tools and vice versa, which kind of saves you money.
- Easy to use.
- Adjustable height deck.
- Lightweight design.
- It works great in all 3 configurations.
- It cuts slowly.
- You can’t use it on tall grass.
4. Best Gas-Powered Lawn Mower for Women – Craftsman M215 159cc 21-Inch 3-in-1
- POWERFUL 159CC OHV GAS ENGINE: Powerful gas engine comes equipped with recoil and auto choke. No more fussing with a primer or choke - just pull to start!
- 3-IN-1 CAPABILITIES: Unit has side discharge, rear discharge, and mulching capabilities.
- FRONT WHEEL DRIVE: Tip-up, turn, and maneuver around level terrain with ease.
- SELF PROPELLED AND VARIABLE SPEED: Move around your yard with less effort and the propulsion speed of your choice.
- DUAL-LEVER ADJUSTABLE CUTTING HEIGHT: Choose from 6 different height settings to suit user’s needs.
If you’re a professional landscaper or are very particular about how your yard looks, you’re going to love the Craftsman M25.
This is a powerful gas lawn mower that is easy to use and cuts out some of the unnecessary clutter. One feature that sets this apart from other gas-powered lawnmowers is the auto choke.
Instead of pressing a primer or turning back and forth a choke, all you need to do is pull the cord and start mowing.
When you do start cutting, you have three options: side discharge, rear discharge into a bag, or mulching.
The adjustable cutting height offers 6 positions between 1.25″ to 3.75″, which is right in line with the recommended grass height.
This gas-powered mower is a front-wheel drive with high rear tires, which makes it easy to turn when you get to an edge.
You also get a 21” cutting deck, so you can use this on a small or medium-sized lawn. The biggest downer of this lawn mower is that it only has a 2-year warranty.
While this is the average length for a gas mower, we’d hoped it would be longer, considering how frequently they break down compared to electric mowers.
- Self-propelled mower.
- Three cutting options.
- Perfect adjustable cutting height range.
- It has an auto choke.
- It only has a 2-year warranty.
- Some assembly is required.
5. Best Electric Lawn Mower for Women – Greenworks 40V 16″ Cordless Electric Lawn Mower
- CORDLESS LAWN MOWER – Get more done, faster, with Greenworks electric lawn mowers. This 40v push lawn mower provides the power you need with up to 45 minutes of runtime on a fully charged 4.0Ah battery. The battery completely charges in 120 minutes.Brushless motor : No
- LIGHTWEIGHT, EASY TO USE – A lightweight 16” cutting deck allows for easy maneuvering through small to medium yards (up to ½ acre) more efficiently. Easy push button start and lighter weight make it a great choice for your lawn.
- VERSATILE – Battery powered lawn mower has a single lever 5-position height adjustment with a cutting height range from 1-1/4" to 3-3/8" for the best cut in all environments. The 2-in-1 feature offers versatile use with mulching and rear bagging options.
- MAINTENANCE FREE – This walk behind lawn mower is virtually maintenance free, with no gas, no oil and no emissions. It starts instantly and is quiet but delivers gas-like power for your toughest projects.
- INCLUDES – Battery operated lawn mower comes with mower, grass collection bag, 40V 4.0Ah battery, charger and operators manual. It offers a 3 year tool and 3 year battery warranty.
It is impossible to have a perfect lawn mower, but this one comes close.
Running on 40V with a 4Ah battery, this cordless lawn mower can run for up to 45 minutes on a single charge, which is more than enough to cut a medium-sized yard of half an acre.
Unlike a gas-powered mower, there is no noise and no fumes to bother you or anyone nearby.
The Greenworks electric lawn mower has a 16” cutting deck, which makes it wide enough for large yards and small enough to maneuver easily.
This also weighs 37.5 pounds, making it one of the lightest lawn mowers in its class. This is a 2-in-1 lawn mower, which you can use for either mulching or rear discharge into a bag.
You can also adjust the cutting height with five options ranging from 1¼” to 3⅜”. This makes it one of the most obscure cutting height options, but who’s counting?
Just like other electric lawn mowers, this requires very little maintenance because there are no oil, gas, or filters to change or clean.
The battery takes just two hours to charge, and it can be used for other Greenworks equipment.
One final selling point is that this comes with a 3-year warranty for the tool and the battery.
- Push start.
- Lightweight design.
- Fast battery charging.
- Decent 3-year warranty.
- Not suitable for very tall grass.
6. Best Brushless Electric Mower for Women – Sun Joe ION16LMCT iON16LM-CT 40-Volt
- For use with iBAT40 Series 40 V lithium-ion batteries and iCHRG40 and iCHRG40QC chargers - sold separately
- No pull cords, gas, oil, tune-ups, carbon emissions or tangled extension cords
- Powerful brushless motor increases battery efficiency, maximizes motor performance, decreases noise and vibration and extends motor life
- Compact design ideal for small to mid-sized lawns
- ETL approved; Full 2-year warranty; Energy Star certified
Never in the history of human beings has a lawn mower been so underestimated.
Literally, everyone that has seen the Sun Joe Ion16 wondered if it was as good as advertised, and everyone has had a good thing to say about it.
Well, except one, but we’ll get to that later. This 16” electric lawn mower delivers the excellence you’d expect from a battery-powered cutter.
As standard, there is no maintenance required, it has an easy start button and it is as light as you can expect.
Weighing under 38 pounds, you can push this with one hand and fan yourself with the other. The brushless motor gives this electric mower more power than brushed alternatives.
You can use this for lawns up to half an acre, but ideally, only one that is mowed frequently, as the 9.25-pound bag won’t carry a lot of cut grass.
One of the surprising features of this electric mower is that the cutting deck is made of plastic. However, it is strong enough to handle more complex jobs.
Our only complaint is that the warranty only lasts two years. However, you can and should get the extended warranty.
- Easy to start
- No maintenance
- It can be operated with one hand
- It has a strong, brushless motor
- Best for small yards
- Only has a 2-year warranty
7. Best Electric Mower for Small Lawns – Worx WG779 40V Power Share 4.0Ah 14″ Cordless Lawn Mower
- [6 HEIGHT ADJUSTMENTS] A single lever lets you set the height you want to cut your lawn, depending on the season, or just your preference.Max Cut Area/Charge 5,000 FT²
- [INTELLICUT] feature provides torque on demand for tougher conditions
- [SAME BATTERY, EXPANDABLE POWER] Worx Power Share is compatible with all Worx 20v and 40v tools, outdoor power and lifestyle products
- [MULCH OR BAG] This 2-in-1 mower lets you bag it up, or mulch your grass back into the ground, it’s up to you
- [BATTERY METER] The on-board battery charge indicator lets you know exactly how much juice you have left before you need to head back to the garage
If you can’t tell already, we love electric mowers. This one is the smallest of the bunch, but it works wonders.
The Worx 40V Power Share is a cordless lawn mower built to compete against gas mowers. It comes with two 20V batteries, so it also has a dual charger.
You can use this to cut up to 5,000 sq. ft, which is impressive for a 14” electric mower.
What helps the Worx Power Share cut above its weight is Intellicut, a feature that allows you to increase the torque for more challenging tasks. When you’re done, you can dial it back down.
Two features that make this walk-behind mower more convenient are the battery indicator that shows you how much power is left and the bag indicator that lights up when it’s time to empty the bag.
As expected, you get all the other advantages of having an electric mower, such as no emissions and quiet operations.
However, what’s really impressive is how easy it is to store. This push mower folds to the size of a small bag to fit on a shelf in your shed.
Worx has also provided a 3-year warranty, which will give you peace of mind.
- Adjustable torque
- Easy to use
- Easy storage
- 3-year warranty
- Best for small yards
- Sensitive to water
8. Best Riding Mower for Women – Home Depot 48 Volt RYOBI 30 in. Riding Lawn Mower
- Lead-Acid Battery operated: no gas, fumes, charge and go
- Low maintenance: no belts, spark plugs or filters
- Up to 1 acre or 1 hour of runtime
- Quiet cutting
- LED headlights
If you have a large lawn, a walk-behind mower won’t be enough to cut it. You need something with a lot more power.
You need something that will last the distance. You need the Ryobi 30-inch riding lawn mower. This 40-volt electric mower is capable of cutting up to one acre of grass or one hour of runtime.
The 30-inch mowing deck on this mower makes it narrow enough to fit through tight spaces and gates, which makes this a great option for residential as well as commercial use.
Just like an electric push mower, this riding lawn mower doesn’t need spark plugs, oil changes, or filter changes.
It is also quiet and virtually maintenance-free. You can cut a lawn using the sider discharge feature or mulching operation. Sadly, there is no bagging option.
You can adjust the cutting height from 1.5″ – 4.5″ in increments of half an inch. This also has LED headlights, so you can mow any time of day.
Unlike the electric push mowers, the body of the Ryobis is made of alloy steel. This makes it strong enough for tough tasks, and it will withstand a bit of battering from the weather.
- Strong alloy steel body
- It can cut an acre on one charge
- Easy to maintain
- It has LED headlights for night cutting
- No bagging option
- The batteries have a short lifespan
Why Are Some Lawn Mowers Better for Women?
Of all the aspects of lawn care or gardening, mowing is the least fun. Women would much rather spend more time on something more productive, like planting vegetables, than wasting hours trying to fix a lawn mower.
That is why just as with everything else, women shop for lawn mowers differently than men. Here are some of the things we prioritize:
Easy to start
The first and most important thing is that a lawn mower for women should be easy to start. The simple reason is that you don’t want to get discouraged at the first hurdle.
You already know you’re going to spend an hour in the sun; you don’t want to prolong it by trying to figure out how to start the mower or troubleshooting why the mower won’t start.
Traditional lawn mowers have a three or four-step starting sequence involving a choke, fuel release valve, and a starter rope.
This, by the way, does not include having to check the fuel level, oil level, and occasionally even the spark plugs.
That is why women much prefer electric lawn mowers to gas. Electric mowers have simple push-start buttons and don’t require checking a hundred different things before you get going.
If we must use a gas-powered mower, we would prefer one that doesnt require as many steps.
Easy to push
The point of lawn care is to keep the place tidy and not to build muscle. Sure, lawn mowing is a great source of cardio, but you don’t need a heavy machine to make it happen.
When you have to put your back into mowing the lawn, it adds unnecessary stress and strain. Even gas-powered, self-propelled lawn mowers can be difficult to maneuver, especially on high grass.
You still need to push a fair bit and pull it back a few times when you’re smoothing over the edges.
That is why electric mowers are big hits with women. Some of them weigh half as much as gas options and can be propelled with one hand for short spells.
Despite being relatively small, lawnmowers require a lot of work. First, there are routine maintenance items like checking and changing the oil, air filters, and spark plugs and charging the battery.
Then you have more complex ones like sharpening the blades, cleaning the carburetor, and cleaning the cooling fins.
What it all boils down to is a lot of hours spent looking after the lawn mower instead of using it.
Unfortunately, a lot of these things are not optional for gas-powered mowers. That brings us back to electric options and why they are more convenient for women.
If you’re a lady who enjoys mechanical processes, then go ahead with a gas mower. While they are more temperamental, they can withstand more abuse and have a longer life span.
Lawn mowers tend to fall under one of three categories: petrol, diesel, electric, or kinetic (manual). Walk-behind mowers are usually petrol or electric, while diesel is reserved for lawn tractors.
When it comes to electric mowers, you can have either corded or cordless mowers (also known as battery-powered).
Every type of lawn mower has its pros and cons. Gas and diesel lawn mowers can handle tougher tasks, but it means you have to constantly buy fuel.
Electric mowers are low maintenance, but you have to keep the batteries constantly charged, even during winter.
Manual or push reel mowers don’t require charging or fuel, but they can only do so much. Cordless mowers give you more freedom, but they run out of juice.
Corded mowers can last the whole day, but it’s a trip hazard. The power source that causes the fewest issues for women is a cordless battery-powered lawn mower.
It is the most straightforward to use, doesn’t make a mess, and doesn’t leave a stench before, during, or after use.
Even though residential noise has been an important subject to the EPA for decades, very little has been done about it.
Numerous reports acknowledge that lawn mowers are a nuisance, yet many manufacturers have done little to change it, and so the burden falls on the consumers.
Women care a lot more about noise than men do. That is why finding a lawn mower that makes as little noise as possible is a priority for women.
While older men are concerned about noise, it is generally for their own sake and not because they don’t want to disturb the neighbors.
Electric mowers, including riding mowers, run relatively silently, unlike gas-powered mowers. If you want to keep the noise down with a gas mower, stay away from lawn tractors and zero-turn mowers.
However, if you don’t even want the humming sound that comes with an electric stick with an old-school push reel mower.
It’s ironic that taking care of a grass lawn can cause so much pollution. According to the EPA, gas-powered lawn mowers make up 5% of total air pollution in the US.
Even though the environment is a big concern, research from the Climate Community at Yale shows that women care more about it than men.
If you fall in this group, then the type of lawn mower you use will be very important to you. That means your best bet is a battery-powered mower.
We can’t talk about lawn mowers for women without considering the one thing that affects how we use lawn mowers differently from men.
On average, men are six inches taller than women, which means the typical height of a lawn mower (4 feet) might not be suitable for a lot of women.
Trying to cut grass with a lawn mower that is way too tall makes it a lot more difficult to control.
That is why having an adjustable height is very useful to a lot of women. Sadly, not enough lawn mowers have that option, but we make do.
When you put all of these points together, it will help you narrow down the best lawn mowers for women.
However, that is not to say it is the best lawn mower for you, as every user is different, and that’s what we’ll look at next.
How To Choose the Best Lawn Mower for You
Size of your yard
The most important thing to consider when looking for the best lawn mower is the size of the lawn you aim to cut and also how frequently you want to trim it.
As you know, lawn mowers come in different shapes and sizes, starting from the 14″ American Made reel mower to the 30″ Ryobi.
Every manufacturer will tell you either the size of lawn you can use it on or, in the case of electric lawn mowers, how long it will last.
Whatever they say, you need to slash that figure by 30%. So, if they say a lawn mower is meant for 5,000 sq. ft, the ideal yard for that lawn mower is about 3,500 sq. ft.
When using electric mowers, you don’t want to push them unto their battery limit because as performance dwindles over time, the battery will fail while cutting.
Your experience with lawn mowers and different types of mowers will determine how much fun or frustration your get out of lawn care.
The best lawn mowers for women with limited experience are battery-powered. They are the easiest to start, and they don’t have fussy parts to check.
That is why Ego Power+ and Greenworks have become very popular. However, if you’ve been gardening your whole life, you might well know how to handle gas-powered lawn mowers.
In that case, you could be happier with the Craftsman M215.
If you mow your lawn once a month, you need to be careful with gas-powered options. You would need to ensure you finish or drain the tank before storage.
That’s because gas begins to break down after a couple of weeks, and if you leave it in your lawn mower, it could become bad gas.
Old gas can clog your fuel filter, fuel lines, and carburetor, which would require a lot of work to get right.
If you have an electric mower, you would need to keep the batteries charged even when you are not using them, including over winter.
Another thing to consider is the power of the mower. A battery-powered lawn mower can’t handle tall grass, as well as a gas alternative.
However, if you mow your lawn every week, you won’t need as much chopping power each time. In that situation, an electric model would work just fine.
Do you love taking engines apart and bringing them together? Then you’ll love gas-powered lawnmowers.
However, if you are the polar opposite and don’t like to touch engine oil, gas, hydraulic fluid, or any other leaky, squirty thing, stick with a reel mower or an electric lawnmower.
Whether you have a large shed or a small one, there is now a lawnmower for every size. If you have very little space, you don’t have to buy a small lawn mower.
Instead, get one that folds like the Worx or one you can store sideways like the Greenworks 16″. Even though storage space is important, it isn’t more so than the size of your lawn.
So, it’s better to decide on the size of the mower and then find one that fits into your space than to choose a small mower that can’t handle a big lawn.
New technology is unreliable. No matter how great it starts off, it will let you down sooner or later.
If you’re spending a few hundred dollars on a lawn mower, it’s better if it breaks down before your warranty has expired.
Ego offers the longest warranty of 5 years for the equipment but 3 years for the battery and the charger.
This is crucial because electric lawn mowers tend to run into problems within the first three years.
Your other option is to ask the seller of your favorite lawn mower if they offer an extended warranty.
When you have looked at all the other important metrics, and you think you have found the best lawn mowers for women, you can use the price to bring your list down to one.
I should mention that we intentionally put that as the last factor because, you know, we love a bargain.
However, it is important to filter through the cost when you know the lawn mower ticks all the right boxes.
For example, the Ego Power+ and Greenworks 16″ deliver virtually the same results. However, one is a premium product, and the other is very competitively priced.
Frankly, it might be worth getting a robotic mower for the price of the Ego if you can afford it.
What are the best lawn mowers for women?
The best lawn mowers for women are electric-powered lawn mowers. They are the easiest lawn mowers to use because they are light, don’t require a lot of maintenance and are easy to start. If you are to get a gas-powered model, ensure it is a self propelled lawn mower for easier use.
Which brand makes the best electric lawn mowers?
Ego has the distinction of making the best electric lawn mowers. However, they tend to be a bit on the pricey side. Other brands luke Sun Joe and Greenworks also make great battery-powered lawn mowers.
Is a cordless lawn mower better than a corded lawn mower?
Each type has its pros and cons. However, most people prefer cordless mowers because you can use them anywhere without worrying about the extension cable. They are also safer to use in a house with children or pets, where it might be a trip hazard.
Make Lawn Care Fun
Having the honor of working on a yard every week is one most women would rather pass up.
However, if you have to do it, make the most of it by getting the best lawn mower for women. Based on our research and experience, that distinction goes to the Greenworks 40V 16″.
The battery-powered lawn mower has the size to handle small and medium fields, is easy to store, requires little maintenance, is light, and it has a laudable 3-year warranty.
Sure, it lacks the finesse of the Ego Power or the torque of the Craftsman, but most women will be happy with this.
Now that you’ve read our review, we know you have a few questions. If one of them is, “Can you mow the lawn while pregnant?” We’ve already got you covered.