Self-propelled lawn mowers have a built-in drive system that pulls them forward whenever you engage the bar.
While they’re easy to use, deciding the best self propelled lawn mower under $300 can be demanding.
Do you need a gas-powered mower or one that runs on batteries? Do you want a bagger or a mulcher?
After testing dozens of affordable, self propelled mowers, we’ve compiled the best options for your lawn.
We’ve also included a buyer’s guide to help you make informed purchasing decisions. Read on to learn more.
Best Self Propelled Lawn Mower Under $300
- Greenworks PRO MO80L00 – Best Overall Self Propelled Mower
- Greenworks 40V 21-inch Self-Propelled – Best Budget Self Propelled Mower
- POWERWORKS MO60L02PW – Best Durable Self-Propelled Mower
- PowerSmart DB2194SR – Best Gas Self Propelled Mower
- Lawn-Boy 17732 – Best Versatile Self Propelled Mower
- Craftsman M275 159cc Self-Propel – Best Mid-Priced Self-Propelled Mower
- Honda HRX217K5VYA – Best Residential Self-Propelled Lawn Mower
7 Best Self Propelled Lawn Mower Under $300
1. Best Overall Self-Propelled Mower – Greenworks PRO MO80L00
- The package length is 43.18 centimeters
- The package height is 86.36 centimeters
- The package width is 58.42 centimeters
- Package Weight : 36.287 kilograms
To start the list is the Greenworks Pro MO80L00- a battery-powered lawn mower suitable for small and medium-sized lawns.
The mower’s 80V battery delivers the performance and power of a gas-powered mower. However, you won’t have the toxic fumes and waste to deal with this time.
Additionally, the batteries, which have a 4Ah rating, deliver consistent mowing performance on both sloped and flat terrains.
The mower can operate for at least 45 minutes when charged. The running time will depend on your lawn’s condition.
After purchasing this unit, you’ll have to buy the charger and battery separately since they aren’t included in the package.
The mower also includes a foldable handle design to minimize the space required during storage.
Like other Greenworks mowers, this model features a push-start button, making it easy to start.
It also has seven height settings that you can adjust using the accessible lever. The adjustment height ranges from 1 ¼” to 3 5/8″.
It also features 3-in-1 cutting systems that allow you to bag, mulch, or use the side discharge when mowing.
- It features a foldable handle design for easy storage
- It includes quick-charging batteries
- It’s easy to assemble
- Suitable for mowing long and thick grass
- Batteries not included with the unit
- The battery life could’ve been better
2. Best Budget Self-propelled Mower – Greenworks 40V 21-inch Self-Propelled Cordless Lawn Mower
- Self- Propelled Drive System
- Product dimensions – 65.35” L x 21.65” W x 33.07” H | Product weight – 21.65 lbs. | Height adjustments – 1 3/8” - 3 ¾”
- Durable 21" steel deck allows you to handle large areas of grass quickly and easily. Brushless motor provides more torque, quiet operation, and longer life
- Self-propelled drive system with variable speed rear wheel drive lets you easily maneuver and tackle any terrain | 3-In-1 design allows you to mulch, rear bag, or side discharge your grass clippings
- Dual battery port design enables one battery to be stored while the other fuels the mower, saving you a trip to the garage | 7 position single lever height adjustment for quick and easy adjustments
Greenworks has consistently delivered a wide range of reliable mowers, making it the preferred brand among gardeners.
Although their premium mower models are worth killing for, you’ll also get the required performance from their budget options.
Moreover, all the models are built to last regardless of their pricing. The Greenworks self-propelled cordless lawn mower is a state-of-the-art mower that comes at a fair price.
This model includes seven height adjustment settings ranging from 1 3/8 inches to 3 3/4 -inches.
Additionally, with its 21-inch cutting deck, this mower is wide enough for deployment in medium and large lawns or yards.
Moreover, this rear-wheel-drive mower features stable wheels with excellent traction. These features make the machine suitable for different kinds of terrains.
You’ll also enjoy quiet operating using the mower thanks to its brushless mower. What’s more, the battery lasts longer compared to other competitor brands.
Another feature you will notice in this mower is the 3-in-1 cutting system. You can mulch, bag, or side discharge the trimmed grass.
Also, being a battery-powered mower, you’ll want to use batteries with a 5Ah or 6Ah rating. You can store a backup battery with the dual battery design.
This will allow you to mow large tracts of lawns without power interruptions. However, the batteries aren’t included when purchasing the unit. You’ll want to buy them separately.
- It offers a quiet operation
- It comes at an affordable price
- It’s easy to set up and use
- It comes with a bagger and in-built mulcher for versatility
- It includes an easy-to-start electric button
- Poor battery life
- Batteries not included
3. Best Durable Self-Propelled Mower – POWERWORKS MO60L02PW
- 21" steel cutting deck features a 3-in-1 design, allowing you to mulch, rear bag, or side discharge grass clippings
- High-efficiency 60V brushless motor with push-button start provides more power, torque, and longer life without the hassle of gas
- Stores vertically, taking up less space in your garage or shed for added convenience
- 7-position, single-lever height adjustment allows you to achieve the perfect cut on all grass types
- Battery and Charger Not Included
Next on the list is another durable yet affordable self-propelled lawn mower. The Powerworks MO60L02PW is an all-in-one model for maintaining a clean and tidy yard without breaking a sweat.
With its 21″ steel cutting deck, you can deploy this mower for large projects. It can mow large lawns quickly.
It also includes a 3-in-1 design, allowing you to mulch, bag, or side-discharge the trimmed grass.
Additionally, it features a brushless motor that guarantees quiet operation and a longer service span. Also, starting the mower is a breeze thanks to the push button that eliminates the need to pull cords.
With a weight of up to 35.11 Kg, the mower’s dimensions measure 59 x22.05x 39.37. Although bulky, the mower compensates for its weight with its foldable handles.
The handles allow for vertical storage, which is handy, especially if you have a tight storage space.
Using a single lever, you can adjust the mower’s height to seven positions. This feature allows you to trim the grass at different heights.
As its name suggests, the Powerworks mower is a powerful model that will mow even the toughest and tallest grass. It runs on a powerful 60V 5Ah lithium-ion battery.
With the battery, you have a runtime of up to 45 minutes, although it will depend on the terrain. You needn’t worry about toxic fumes or noisy operations.
This mower comes with a 4-year warranty and 2 years on the battery but you’ll have to purchase the battery and charger separately.
- It’s durable
- It includes foldable handles for easy storage
- It comes with a 3-in-1 cutting design
- It’s easy to start
- It’s quite noisy for an electric mower
4. Best Gas Self-propelled Mower – PowerSmart DB2194SR
- CORDLESS LAWN MOWER – Get more done, faster, with Greenworks electric lawn mowers. This 40v push lawn mower provides the power you need with up to 45 minutes of runtime on a fully charged 4.0Ah battery. The battery completely charges in 120 minutes.Brushless motor : No
- LIGHTWEIGHT, EASY TO USE – A lightweight 16” cutting deck allows for easy maneuvering through small to medium yards (up to ½ acre) more efficiently. Easy push button start and lighter weight make it a great choice for your lawn.
- VERSATILE – Battery powered lawn mower has a single lever 5-position height adjustment with a cutting height range from 1-1/4" to 3-3/8" for the best cut in all environments. The 2-in-1 feature offers versatile use with mulching and rear bagging options.
- MAINTENANCE FREE – This walk behind lawn mower is virtually maintenance free, with no gas, no oil and no emissions. It starts instantly and is quiet but delivers gas-like power for your toughest projects.
- INCLUDES – Battery operated lawn mower comes with mower, grass collection bag, 40V 4.0Ah battery, charger and operators manual. It offers a 3 year tool and 3 year battery warranty.
It’s typical for homeowners to opt for gas-powered self-propelled lawn mowers without digging deep into their pockets. A gas mower tends to be more durable and offer more performance.
This mower from PowerSmart is a great pick if you’re among them. This model operates on a four-stroke single-cylinder engine.
The 1700cc engine is powerful enough to mow on hilly terrains. It’s also a great option for trimming tall and overgrown lawns.
The mower features a wide 21-inch steel deck suitable for large mowing projects. Depending on your mowing needs, you can adjust the cutting height to five different levels.
These levels range from 1.2-inches to 21-inches. Additionally, you’ll appreciate the mower’s three cutting options, including mulching, bagging, and side discharging.
This rear-wheel-drive mower features two rugged 8″ rear wheels that deliver excellent slope traction.
The mower also includes a foldable handle, allowing for a more compact design. This compactness comes in handy if you want to save on storage space.
It also has a reliable full-tank capacity of 0.4 gallons. The tank can hold up to 16.9 fl—Oz of oil. Like other gas mowers, this model is noisy and releases toxic gasses.
- It’s durable
- It’s easy to maneuver
- It’s suitable for mowing overgrown lawns
- Wide cutting deck suits large projects
- High bagging capacity of up to 18 gallons
- It includes thick rear wheels for better traction
- It delivers a noisy operation
- It emits toxic fumes
5. Best Versatile Self-propelled Mower – Lawn-Boy 17732
- Rear Wheel Drive System provides a better traction and control on hilly terrain
- 2-Point Height-of-Cut System allows you to quickly adjust cutting heights from one side of the mower. Height of Cut- 6 Position 1.25 – 3.75 inches. Cutting Width- 21 inch
- 3 year Tru-Start Commitment - starts with 1 or 2 pulls or Lawn-Boy will fix it for free
- Kohler 149cc/ 6.5 ft.-lbs. Gross Torque/ OHV Engine
- CARB Compliant for the state of California
Despite its low price, the Lawn-boy self-propelled Mower by Toro is highly regarded for its performance. This rear-drive mower operates well on flat and sloped terrains.
The thick rear wheels deliver better control and traction on hilly terrain. The model includes all the necessary features to make the mowing session seamless.
However, unlike other mowers in this list, which use a start button, this model includes an easy-to-pull cord that’ll have the mower roaring in one or two pulls.
With this unit, you can adjust the cutting deck to two heights depending on your project. The steel deck, which is 21-inches wide, is durable yet lightweight.
This allows for easy maneuverability during each mowing session. The Lawn-Boy mower also guarantees a neat and evenly cut yard.
This versatile mower offers three cutting systems: mulching, bagging, and self-discharging. The included bagger is large enough and attaches and detaches easily.
Moreover, you can adjust the speed control settings according to your preference. Lastly, this rear-wheel-drive mower generates 6.5 ft/pound of torque and comes with a 2-year warranty.
You’ll also enjoy a 3-year tru-start commitment. In this case, the company will offer a free repair if the mower doesn’t start after the first two pulls.
- Suitable for rocky and hilly terrains
- It’s durable
- It has a two-point cutting for versatility
- It features an easy-to-pull cord
- It has a shoddy front height adjustment mechanism
- The bagger has a low-capacity
- Poor assembly instructions
6. Best Mid-Priced Self-Propelled Mower – Craftsman M275 159cc Self-Propelled Gas Powered Lawn Mower
- Save time when cleaning your deck’s underside to prevent rust or waste build up | Includes Self propelled mower, One bagger, One V20* Lithium Ion Battery, One Charger & One Engine Oil
- Product dimensions – 36.56" L x 17.75" W x 17.75" H | Product weight – 86.8 lbs. | Start type – Electric Start | Cut height – 1.25” to 3.75” | Cut width – 21” | Motor brand – MTD Products | Horse Power – 159 CC
- Choose from 6 different height settings to suit user’s needs. Whether your lawn needs a light trim or a full cut, there is a right setting for you
- Move around your yard with less effort at the propulsion speed of your choice allowing you to have optimal command and control of the mower
- Easy assembly required | Unit has side discharge, rear discharge, and mulching capabilities. This gas mower is versatile and works with you to get the job done
This is another classic offering from Craftsman to homeowners. This front-wheel drive mower includes a powerful 159 cc engine that delivers sufficient power to mow tall and thick grass.
Moreover, with this model, you can complete your mowing project quickly regardless of the lawn size.
The Craftsman M275 mower is a gas-powered model that features a sleek design. Apart from its enhanced performance, this lawn mower looks good. It’s also favorably priced, making it accessible to homeowners on a budget.
With the machine, you’ll enjoy an easy cutting height adjustment ranging from 1.25 to 3.75 inches. Also, depending on your preference, the 3-in-1 cutting option allows you to bag, side discharge, or mulch the grass clippings.
Like with any other front-wheeled mower, this model doesn’t provide enough traction, especially on hilly or sloped terrain.
- Suitable for long, tough grass
- It’s affordable
- The powerful engine is suitable for large mowing projects
- 3-in1 cutting options
- It doesn’t deliver enough traction on slopes
- It has a noisy operation
- It emits toxic fumes
7. Best Residential Self-Propelled Lawn Mower – Honda HRX217K5VYA
This is the best lawn mower in versatility, adaptability, and ease of use. It’s a gas-powered model that delivers the expected performance on medium to large-sized lawns.
Moreover, it includes a rigid and sturdy body that makes it durable for deployment on stony, hilly, or rocky ground.
With its 21″ steel cutting deck, you’re likely to complete your mowing sessions in no time. Additionally, it allows easy cutting height adjustment with a range of 1.125 inches to 4-inches.
This rear-wheeled mower features dual blades that deliver a clean cut. It also has a 4-in1 cutting option that allows you to mulch, shred, disperse or bag the grass clippings.
This feature makes it more versatile than other similar-priced lawnmowers. Additionally, this residential-grade mower is easy to start and use.
The voluminous grass catcher eliminates the need to empty the bag frequently. This allows for uninterrupted mowing sessions.
This model comes with a tested 160cc Honda engine, known for its power and reliability. With its performance and quality, you’ll never regret investing in this mower.
Besides being user-friendly and ergonomic, the mower offers seamless storage options making it reliable.
- It has a powerful Honda engine
- Its dual blades deliver a clean cut
- It has adjustable speed settings
- It includes folding handles for easy storage
- Suitable for hilly terrains
- It’s quite noisy
- It emits toxic fumes
Buyer’s Guide: Picking The Best Self-Propelled Lawn Mower Under $300
With myriad self-propelled mowers saturating the market, finding the best pick for your lawn becomes challenging.
Lucky for you, we’ve included the must-have features to consider when picking your lawn mower.
Front wheel or rear-wheel?
Front-wheel drive mowers are less expensive and are suitable for flat or even terrains. They also offer the best maneuverability since you only need to lift the drive wheels as you turn.
Rear-wheeled mowers cost more but offer better traction on sloppy or hilly terrain. With rear-wheel drive mowers, you can work uphill without losing traction.
Another category is the all-wheel drive lawn mowers which are the most expensive on the market. They are suitable for deployment on slopes, hills, and uneven terrains.
It’s one of the best lawn mowers for bumpy areas where wheels are likely to lose traction.
Gas vs battery-powered
I prefer gas-powered self-propelled mowers for their affordable cost and high performance.
However, huge battery and motor technology advancements make battery-powered mowers more reliable.
They operate quietly and need less maintenance. Moreover, battery-powered mowers are eco-friendly since they don’t emit toxic fumes into the environment.
Variable or fixed speed
Opt for a self-propelled mower with adjustable speed controls. This will allow you to go faster or slower depending on the mower’s condition, the nature of the lawn, and your physical condition.
A mower whose speed can’t be adjusted may go too slowly or quickly, failing to deliver the desired performance.
Electric start or pull cord
There’re two ways to start a self-propelled lawn mower; using an electric start button for an electric lawn mower or a pull cord.
The recoil way of powering a gas lawn mower is to pull on the cord, and the mower will start.
Even corded electric mowers will start at a simple push of a button or turn of a key. So, settle for electric lawn mowers with an electric start to avoid the inconvenience of manually pulling the cord.
Engine size and power
Depending on the size of your lawn, you’ll want a mower with a high-performing engine. If cut quality isn’t your priority, you could settle for an engine as small as 140cc.
If you wish for more performance, especially on thicker and taller grass, opt for a mower with a 160cc-180cc engine. The high power improves lift, eliminating the chances of bogging down in thick patches.
The cut quality includes three major components; evenness, bagging efficiency, and mulching size. When testing for evenness, check whether it cuts all the grass blades equally.
If not, the mower didn’t generate enough lift to clip the blades equally. Smaller grass clippings are better when mulching since they fall closer to the base of the remaining grass.
Also, check whether the mower leaves trails and clumps behind. For bagging, check whether the chute clogs when collecting grass. Check how much grass it collects and how much falls on the ground.
A major advantage of battery-powered mowers is their low-noise operation. While some mowers operate quieter than others, I recommend wearing hearing muffs, especially if you’re mowing using a gas model.
Self-Propelled Lawn Mower Maintenance Tips
To enjoy an enhanced performance from your mower, you’ll want to keep it at top conditions. To do this, adhere to the manufacturer’s instructions and user menu.
Here are some expert tips to keep your mower in top shape and enjoy a longer service.
Clean the Mower Regularly
Before performing routine maintenance, ensure all the moving parts, such as the cutting blades, aren’t operating. Next, remove the spark plug, so the mower doesn’t start accidentally.
Cleaning your self-propelled mower regularly could troubleshoot most of your problems because the mower accumulates grass and dust, among other debris, with every use.
This debris impacts the mower’s performance. Wash the deck regularly and use a stick to remove any stuck grass between the blades.
Replace the spark plugs and air filter
Before the start of the mowing season, you’ll want to replace the mower’s spark plugs with new ones. Old or worn-out spark plugs tend to ignite slowly, resulting in high fuel consumption.
The good news is, spark plugs are affordable, and replacing them won’t hurt your finances.
Go through the user’s manual to know how frequently you should change the mower’s air filter. With cleaner air, the mower will offer better performance.
Inspect nuts, bolts, and screws regularly
Ensure that the screws, bolts, nuts, and washers are tight and there aren’t any loose parts. This will help to avoid accidents and will enhance performance.
Why You Should Buy A Self-Propelled Lawn Mower
Unlike a push mower, self-propelled mowers don’t require you to push from behind when cutting grass.
Instead, the mower pulls itself forward whenever you engage the bar. This feature comes with a lot of advantages, including;
- The mower becomes easy to use.
- Older people or those suffering from physical impairments can operate the mower.
- Increases the mowing efficiency by cutting down on time.
- You use less energy.
When to Replace a Self-propelled Mower
Consider replacing your self-propelled mower if major components get damaged or when it reaches the end of its service span.
Most mower issues, such as damaged cords, cables, carburettors, and belts, are easily fixed. Fixing or replacing the damaged parts is more economical than replacing the lawn mower.
However, some issues might cost you more to repair. In this case, replacing the lawn mower with a new one is the better option.
For instance, if the issue lies within the mower’s engine, consider replacing the entire machine.
Replacing or repairing broken rods or pistons might cost the same as purchasing a new lawn mower.
Repairing the mower’s transmission system requires digging deeper into your pockets. When experiencing transmission issues, it’s an indication that you need to replace the machine.
Nevertheless, with the right maintenance approach, you could avert most issues that may hinder your lawn mower’s performance. Adhere to the manufacturer’s instructions to achieve a longer service span.
Which is better, FWD or RWD self-propelled mower?
Rear-wheel drive mowers offer more traction and allow you to mow in a straight line. While front-wheel drive models are less costly and easy to maneuver, they’re less suitable for hilly or bumpy terrain. However, they cost less than their RWD counterparts.
Is it worth getting a self-propelled lawn mower?
Having a self-propelled lawn mower will save you time and energy. Moreover, it increases mowing efficiency since you can easily cut through thick grass without extra effort. The mower pulls itself forward around the challenging areas in your lawn.
Can you mow backward with a self-propelled mower?
No, self-propelled mowers cannot move backward when operating. This is because most self-propelled models have only a single forward speed under propulsion. However, you can still move it backward by pushing it manually. In this case, the mower’s engine should be off.
What is the average life of a self-propelled lawn mower?
A self-propelled lawn mower should serve you for around eight years or more. Still, the lifespan will depend on the nature of use and how often it is used. There’s minimal difference in the service life of a standard push lawn mower and a self-propelled model.
After analyzing several market options, it’s evident that Greenworks PRO MO80L00 is the best self-propelled lawn mower under $300.
This model exhibits high performance and reliability making it suitable for different lawns.
It’s also battery-powered, eliminating the risk of noise and air pollution. So, opt for this model if you’re looking for a reliable mower under a budget.